Thread: Foreign national with NZ residency willing to change name in NZ

Drake

Question Foreign national with NZ residency willing to change name in NZ

Hi everyone. I've been googling a discussion board where this question could be asked and answered, and hopefully this forum is the right one.

I am a 18+ foreign national having NZ resident visa. I would like to change my name officially here in NZ, just because I want to use another name here. I have read through all the official requirements and procedures needed for that and everything looks clear to me except for one thing:

Will I also need to get my foreign passport re-issued in new name?

I personally do not mind having and using my current foreign passport with old name until I qualify for NZ passport several years later. In fact, I would prefer not to change my name in my country of citizenship at all so that I could enter it and use the same old name the country knew me for ages.

But in NZ, will I be legally allowed to do that if my name has been changed and I bear NZ driver's licence, bank accounts etc. etc. in new name? Will I do anything wrong if I enter NZ using my old name/passport/visa when my name in NZ is actually another one? Or would it be just enough to have the Name Change Certificate handy in all cases where questions about me using passport in old name can emerge?

Any clues will be much appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Not sure about that one but the Internal Affairs site is here http://www.dia.govt.nz/