Thread: Cuckoos in the Nest- Tony Molloy 2009

Cuckoos in the Nest- Tony Molloy 2009

New Zealand has a widerange of scenery, an enormous and beautiful coastline, low pollution, a benign climate, wine bettered nowhere on earth, a long history of stable Parliamentary democracy, top educational facilities and opportunities, and sound banks. It has White List status, and a network of 36 double taxation agreements. It makes no fiscal claim on the offshore income of trusts of non-resident settlors.

The World Bank’s Doing Business Survey, which ranks countries on a number of measures
    relating to the ease of doing business here, places it second only to Singapore.However, it ranks only twentieth out of the 133 countries surveyed by World Global Forum’s annual Global Competitiveness Report on factors affecting productivity. So there must be a few cuckoos in the nest.

Micromanagement problem

High on the cuckoo list is a lunatic proclivity for government by micromanagement. There are encouraging signs that New Zealanders are waking up to the toxic potential of this trait. A recent national referendum demonstrated their contempt for, and demand for the repeal of, legislation interfering with the rights of parents to smack their misbehaving children on the backside.

The furore over the imposition of this legislation justified Bismarck’s celebrated comparison of legislation and sausages: you just would not want to know how either were made. It brings to mind an incident during the gradual process of replacing the laws brought by the English settlers, in the nineteenth century, with legislation created here. When the Crimes Act 1961 was enacted, it abolished common law crimes and terminated the local application of a number of UK enactments. The Witchcraft Act 1735, from the reign of George II, was an example.

Also repealed were the Whipping Act 1820, from the reign of George IV, and the Pillory Abolition Act 1816, from the reign of George III: a repeal which, by removing obstacles to the creation of a bondage and domination industry, may well have helped to demonstrate the ease of doing business here, and so attract the attention of the World Bank’s Doing Business Survey in the first place.

The Crimes Act 1961 repealed, also, the 1285 statute 13 Edw 1, ch 34. That is, it abolished the offence of abducting a nun! Concern that this might create open season on convents, or pave the way for people—so to speak—getting into bad habits, abated when it was realised that the offence had been rendered supererogatory by the abduction and kidnapping provisions in ss 208-210 of the new Act.

Nuns were still safe! Just as—so far as the law, alone, can make anyone safe—our children always were kept safe by the assault provisions of the Act. The smacking legislation showed that our politicians’ judgment is not always unclouded. Of course, their judgment plays no part whatever in the next, and economically grave, illustration of the micromanagement fetish: the income tax legislation.

There should be a rule that no legislation can be passed until each MP has passed an examination on the Bill. Unfortunately there is no such rule yet. Accordingly, there is not one Member of Parliament who has any idea what she or he is doing when they pass
    this stuff. Click for complete article
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beefhooked; 08-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Goodness!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgnzpo View Post
    - if the penalty is quickly administered- by putting the fear of God in them, and it saves society the huge expense of keeping the murderer fed, warm, dry and smug in jail when he doesn't deserve it.
    The problem you have is all the little men on this earth that play God with our lives and would have the power to put people to death. Can you suggest a way of ensuring that the power to order the death penalty was not misused by a corrupt justice system...what would have happened to Arthur Allan Thomas?

You only have to look at the statistics in the USA and here, where DNA evidence has exonerated innocent men who would have otherwise have been put to death. I prefer the current scheme of things where the scum of this earth get to rot away in maximum security with God left to do the fiery pits of Hell thing.

This thread seems to have taken a sharp turn to the far right my friend. I dont think we can blame Tony Molloy for the abolition of the death penalty, more to the point, even if he was personally responsible, I would fully support his position.

The point is, Mr Molloy is one of the only lawyers I know of who has the guts to take on the establishment face to face and to bicker about the mans integrity is pointless, given that he is well and truly on the side of others on this site that have identified a need for change.

Your certainty about the fate of mankind is one of many viewpoints shared here, faith in Gods wrath is all well and good for all the true believers..but what about the rest of us who may not share your faith in divine wisdom & resurrection etc.

I respect your view on divinity & was raised to accept much of what you have said above...until I gave it some serious thought and like Lloyd Gerring I now believe both Christian and Muslim fundamentalism to be "social evils".

Indeed I would suggest that Sir Lloyd George Geering could also be nominated as a "patron saint" and I invite you to view an excerpt from "The Last Western Heretic", which is a timely and enthralling insight into the ideas and philosophies of the New Zealander described by the BBC as “the last living heretic”.

New Zealand’s very own Lloyd Geering, now 89 and still deeply involved in the debate of ideas about life and religion, and latterly, the very survival of human beings and the planet to which we belong.

Geering is New Zealand’s foremost theologian; a long-standing Presbyterian minister who doesn’t believe in a personal God, a man of the church who fearlessly challenges all Christian and secular ideas, and was once famously and controversially tried for heresy - or as it was formally called: “doctrinal error and disturbing the peace of the church”.

The lively octogenarian with a sharp intellect is a NZ icon who was one of the key intellectual figures of our nation throughout the last half of the 20th century

I look forward to dinner and eventally being entertained in the fiery pits of hell by the likes of George Carlin who correctly identified clergymen as the biggest conmen on the planet.

Could you please find it within your large comodius heart to cease and desist from straying off topic and launching into a continual stream stream of incessant judgemental god bothering & thread hjacking.

It is annoying & you may find that people will start complaining to the Admin...as I have. I respect your views on religion and if you want to discuss god..please go off and start a god thread in the open forum. I'm now off to worship the Sun, seems like a far more logical thing to do.

Last edited by beefhooked; 10-09-2012 at 02:01 PM.

I'm sure the Director General has much to contribute to the legal issues raised here..so back to the thread and Tony Molloys comments that high on the "cuckoo list" is a lunatic proclivity for government by micromanagement.

There are encouraging signs that New Zealanders are waking up to the toxic potential of this trait and a recent example of people protesting and waking up to unecessary tinkering with the law involve the proposed amendments to the law concering boat people.

https://newzealandjustice.com/conten...oat-people-law

Ooops, sorry: the normally infallible Director General has made a mistake. The quote from Miltions speech in Starr Chamber in 1644 on the freedom of the press form being squelched by heathen sunworhipping oppression was "give me the right to know, to utter, to argue freely, above all liberties". The public has a right to know God's perspective on things, which is good, but as beefhooked quite rightly points out, the public doesn't want to know, generally preferring to rebel.