PDA

View Full Version : Finding a job in the law sector

YeeChungAndyChan
13-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Greetings to all,

I am a recent law/health science conjoints graduate from the University of Auckland and is currently doing my Professional Legal Studies Programme with the College of Law.

I am finding it difficult to find a legal position in this country, let alone positions of solicitors/barristers. I realise that it is the trend of legal employers only looking at recruiting candidates with PQE and us graduates who do not belong to the top 1% 'elite students' are rejected by the law sector.

I am not here to complain. I have great passion for law but I all I see is grim when I browse the limited numbers of legal jobs available on Seek, TradeMe or NZ Hearld. I have tried apply for legal positions like legal executive or legal secretary and I did not even make it into their interview list.

I have reasonably good grades (B to B+ average) for both my degrees, they were acquired from a if not the top university in the country. I have had (albeit, limited) experience in working for law firms. I have excellent language skills. I just do not see the reason why no employers want me.

Others have been telling me that it is all about connections. I am not a very socially active person and neither are my family members and so we do not have 'connections' which my fellow law classmates who are born from a law family have.

Does anyone have any advice, or is willing to shed some light on this, oreven better, provide me with links/connections to potential employers that would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andy Chan

Beachedas
09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Good luck with the job search Andy, have you tried outside of the Auckland region? If you were prepared to do a year or two in a small town it would probably be easier.