Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roast Busters: Cops could've done more

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

  • Roast Busters: Cops could've done more

    The country's top cop has conceded police could have gone public about the Roast Busters scandal earlier.
    News of the group - whose members bragged online about having sex with drunk and underage girls - was made public in media reports last Sunday.
    But it emerged during the week that police had received a complaint from a 13-year-old girl as far back as 2011.
    Speaking on TVNZ's Q+A programme today, Police Commissioner Peter Marshall said police could have done more in hindsight.
    "We could have gone into the public arena perhaps earlier - that's one of the areas that we're going to explore. But we had the best intentions at heart, to have victims come to us so that we could progress matters.
    "We're actually in the business of helping victims like this, we're in the business of putting people before the court where the evidence is there."
    Police had investigated and interviewed members of the group, but no charges have been laid because police said there was not enough evidence.
    Mr Marshall said police had called for more evidence this week.
    "The request this week, throughout all this week, was if there's anyone out there who can give very specific evidence, we would follow it through."
    Police have been criticised about the questions asked of the complainant, now aged 15, including about what clothes she had been wearing.
    Mr Marshall told Q+A the girl had been interviewed by a specially trained female interviewer.
    He said it was important to have a description of clothing because that was "fundamental" when it came to interviewing a suspect later on.
    "I can understand, from a 13-year-old girl, being asked about clothing is unusual. She should have had it explained to her, I don't know whether she did. And I'm sure that she would find the whole question of an interview difficult."
    In a 2007 report, Dame Margaret Bazley identified a culture of scepticism within police when dealing with sexual assault complaints. The report urged changes to police attitudes and behaviour.
    Mr Marshall said Dame Margaret had wanted police to increase the number of people who had been formally trained in sexual assault complaints, and police had done that last year.
    "We undertake dozens of interviews every month and I would say 99.9 per cent of the interviews conducted by our specialist interviewers are conducted in an entirely professional, appropriate way, and I'm sure this one was a well."
    The Roast Busters scandal comes after Central District commander Superintendent Russell Gibson apologised in September for describing a 10-year-old rape victim as a "willing" participant.
    Mr Marshall said that was a "disappointing comment" that was under intense review at the moment.
    He disagreed police needed a cultural shift.
    "No I don't, I think the New Zealand police has gone from strength to strength in recent years. Of course I would say that, but I make that point very clearly - I have absolute faith in the senior executive of New Zealand police."
    Mr Marshall said he had a "very good team" working on the Roast Busters case.
    "If there is the evidence, they will be charged, but the evidence requires people to come forward."
      Posting comments is disabled.

    Latest Articles

    Collapse

    • Judge Goddard refuses to answer MPs' questions
      by admin
      The former New Zealand judge who headed a UK inquiry into child sexual abuse has said she will not appear before British MPs to answer questions about her time in charge. Dame Lowell Goddard said for her to be summoned would compromise the inquiry's "independence and integrity". She also hit out at "malicious, defamatory attacks" by the British media and said she was disappointed the government had not defended her. British MPs have asked the former head of the child sex abuse inquiry to expl...
      11-11-2016, 11:47 AM
    • Judge Lowell Goddard's epic fail
      by admin
      Dame Lowell Goddard, the New Zealand judge who resigned last week as chair of the 100 million (N$183.5m) Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA), did not leave her post voluntarily but was effectively fired. Dame Lowell, appointed by then-Home Secretary Theresa May just over a year ago, had already lost the confidence of senior staff and members of the inquiry panel, according to two well-placed legal sources. The Home Office has denied she was sacked, according to reports. After she ...
      09-08-2016, 10:07 AM
    • Sir Ngatata Love's lawyer claims agreement had no impact on Trust
      by admin
      Sir Ngatata Love's lawyer Colin Carruthers QC says the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) theory against his client is wrong, with a key agreement placing no financial cost on the Wellington Tenths Trust. The former leading Treaty of Waitangi negotiator and academic is on trial in the High Court at Wellington, accused of obtaining funds by deception, or alternatively of obtaining a secret commission.The charges relate to allegations that Love showed favour to Auckland property developer Redwood, and ...
      05-08-2016, 01:44 PM
    • Transport boss pleads guilty to corruption charges
      by admin
      The Serious Fraud Office says the guilty plea yesterday by an Auckland Council manager to corruption charges shows the dangers in not questioning a culture of gratuities. Barrie Kenneth James George, 69, this morning at the High Court at Auckland pleaded guilty to two charges of accepting bribes as a public official when he took gifts worth $103,580 between 2005 and 2012. The gifts included cash, and lavish overseas holidays for George and his family. SFO Director, Julie Read welcomed the guilty plea...
      04-08-2016, 09:40 AM
    • Identities of corrupt JP's stay secret
      by admin
      The identities of Justices of the Peace disciplined for incompetence, making false allegations or misusing their title for personal gain are being kept secret by the Ministry of Justice.In the case of the above JP Denis Selwyn Callesen of Keri Keri, the Crown Law Office even halted a private prosecution against Mr Callessen after evidence emerged that Mr Callessen and his former secretary Robin Morris had perverted the course of justice.

      The Ministry believes the privacy of...
      23-07-2016, 11:35 AM
    • Government funded escape artist Philip Smith found guilty
      by admin
      The murderer who embarrassed New Zealand law and border authorities by flying to Brazil while on temporary release from prison has been convicted for the audacious escape. Charges of escaping lawful custody and making a false statement to renew a passport have been added to Phillip John Smith's lengthy criminal record, along with murder, child sex abuse, kidnapping, tax fraud and arson. In an unusual legal procedure, a jury was chosen at the Auckland District Court today and the judge immedia...
      22-07-2016, 01:05 PM
    Working...
    X